21 September 2007

Like student, like student

It's hard to miss this little gem, tucked away in a seeming hole-in-the-wall business center in Summerlin. It's called Café Bleu, the on-site restaurant of Le Cordon Bleu Institute of Culinary Arts. It took me two roundabouts to finally realize I had just missed my turn on Corporate Crossing and Town Center Drive.

Students prepare and serve food as part of their training - so we were the guinea pigs. Some servers were better than others. One particularly surly woman didn't have much of a sense of humor when a guest made a quip about all the wine consumption. Other servers were quite pleased to make conversation with guests, to answer question, and POUR THE WINE! An abundance of wine...

The dinner party was served gazpacho, Mediterranean salad, chicken cordon bleu (the specialty of the house) , and a rum custard.

I'm not a foodie, so I don't have a vocabulary bank to describe the flavors and how they affected my palate. Everyone at the restaurant loved everything. I particularly enjoyed the salad and the cordon bleu. The institute is definitely training its chefs well.

Because the dinner was free, I have no idea how much it would actually cost. Eat there anyway. From one student to another.

No comments: