30 September 2007

The room worked me - How to work a room, practicum

There were some new lessons learned last night while attending the Philharmonic's opening night concert. Let me share them with you.

Know your audience
If you're with a crowd of young professionals or older art enthusiasts - adjust. How? Well, I'm still working that one out. But if anyone has any suggestions my email is on my profile page.

Break in those stilettos ahead of time
Waddling is not attractive, and it may scare off potential networking contacts. You may also twist your ankle on the way to the post-party. Bring a pair of sensible shoes if you venture to do as I.

Bring a date
Friend or romantic partner. It sucks sitting alone at the concert while other couples grope each other throughout the entire symphony.

Don't bother the musicians unless you give them lots of your money
They don't care. They just want to go home and eat after all their playing. They are incredibly stressed out right now.

Moral of the story - have a game plan for everything that could go wrong, because it will.

No comments: